There are multiple new releases out there for retailers to read and to carry in the garden center. Here are just a few we’ve compiled. We’ll start with some to carry for customers:
• “1001 Gardens You Must See Before You Die” edited by Rae Spencer-Jones – Available through Barron’s, this 960 page, hardcover selection highlights the most beautiful and interesting gardens around the world. It includes more than 800 color photos and text descriptions. Suggested retail price is $34.99. Available at www.barronseduc.com.
• “Organic Lawn Care Manual” by Paul Tukey – Available through Storey, this 271 page book details the ins and outs of organic lawn care, as well as the benefits of going green. Suggested retail price is $19.95, and it is available at www.storey.com.
• “Absolutely Beautiful Containers” by Sue Amatangelo – This 256-page, hardcover book is the ABCs of containers for your customers. Amatangelo walks readers through 200 different containers, from monoculture and single plant pots all the way to mixed containers with different textures, colors and heights. Available through the Ball Publishing Bookshelf at www.ballpublishing.com/commerce/detail.aspx?ID=663.
• Gibbs Smith Publisher has a wide variety of books dealing with interior and exterior designs, gardening, cooking and general living. Gardening title examples include “Timeless Landscape Design, ” “Small Buildings, Small Gardens, ” “The Texas Flower Garden, ” “Some Like It Hot” and more. Find out more at www.gibbs-smith.com.
OK, now on to you. Here are two titles we found for retailers to pick up:
• “The Successful Family Business: A Proactive Plan for Managing the Family and the Business” by Edward D. Hess – Available through Praeger, a member of the Greenwood Publishing Group. This book focuses solely on family businesses, giving readers the tools to successfully managing both. Sells for $39.95 at www.praeger.com.
• “The Art Of Celebrity Service” by Eric Wilder – written by a former garden center owner, Wilder details the customer service program he created at Almaden Valley Nursery to add value to the product and keep customers coming back for more. It is available at Barnes & Noble and at www.bn.com.